Monday, March 9, 2009

I think I am fighting a losing battle

I know that I am not alone in trying to lose weight. If you have never tried to lose weight I want to know who you are. I think that losing weight is harder than trying to keep myself healthy. I get so frustrated all the time.

There are so many diets out there. Each one promises that you can lose a lot of weight in such a short period of time. They are all liars. People will do anything to get your money. I have looked into a few of them. Thinking that would be great. Then I see how much it cost and that ends that. I didnt put the weight on in a couple of months. So why do I think I can take it off in a couple of months.

We live in a society that we want everything right now. We dont want to wait for anything. There are drive thrus for everything now. For fast food, drug stores, banks, even for weddings! We need to slow down. We dont walk for anything anymore. We have to drive everywhere we go. We live two blocks from a grocery store. My son and daughter both look at me weird if I tell them they can walk to the store.

I remember back when I was a teenager that we were always out riding our bikes all over town. We never just sit around the house and watched tv or played video games. We were out and about as much as possible. If we were around home we would have had more chores to do. We never said we were bored. That is all I here from my son who is now 12 yrs old. He needs to lose some weight too. It is like pulling teeth to get him to go outside and play. What is going to have to happen to get him moviated.

I am trying so hard to lose weight. My weight goes up and down due to retaining water. That makes it difficult for me to know how much weight I am losing. A few weeks ago I bought a dvd called Walking Off The Pounds. It is an in home walking video. You can do 1,2.or 3 miles. Since I have to be very limited on my exercise I only do the one mile. When I first started I could only do 5 minutes. Today I got in 15 minutes. That is a hugh thing for me.

I am trying to get my whole family to eat more healthy. My husband is addicted to chocolate. Sometimes that is hard. I have a sweet tooth and love my chocolate too. Portion control is the key. I tried like only eating twice a day and no luck in losing. I know that I have to eat to lose. To me that just doesnt make sense. The less I eat the more I should lose in my mind. I know that is not how it works.

So this week I am working on healthy eating and portion control. When I see results I feel really good. When I dont lose I feel really bad. I have been working on this for a long long time. Will I be successful in losing the weight? Guess it depends on what you consider successful. For me my first goal is to lose ten pounds before summer. I am making very small goals that I can acheive. Would I love to lose 50 pounds by summer, sure I would. I just know that I would fail setting a goal like that.

Am I all only in this battle or are others out that that have failed so many times before too? If so I would love to hear from you. Love to have some buddies in this diet journey.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could say that I have tried to lose weight, but I've never had a problem with it. So you can hate me on that. lol But, I have a friend who has spent a year losing an incredible amount of weight on her own through counting calories, writing them down, and exercise. She doesn't have any health concerns, so she can go to the gym and exercise on a regular basis. I know that's not an easy thing for us PHers to do. But, counting calories is one thing you might be able to do. Portion control is a part of that, but also what you eat is a part of it, too. There are probably websites out there to tell you what food equals how many calories, and how much to have. I wish you lots of luck, because I know it's not easy to try to lose weight when dealing with a health problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lora weight loss is never easy for me. I can't breath right doing simply tasks I don't get in much of exercise.

    I have many allergies - and I am diabetic t2. I am treated with meformin. My food plan is extremely bland and booring but it works. I am sodium restricted. My dr told me that in 7 weeks I lost 8lbs - need to only lose 8 more.

    Protion control - and reading all lables. What you think is good for you really is the opposit. To lose weight one needs to take out high carbs out- lower the salt - stay away from processed foods - and eat lots of fruits and veggies, fish and beans. and exercise on a regular basis. I hope this helps Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lora..I hear you..I have have this weight issue a while..but now with PH it is even worse..I have gained about 30 lbs since I was diagnosed..I know some is fluid..I just increased my diuretics beacuse of that..I find it really hard..I mean I love food and love to cook when i feel good.I try and do healthier stuff but that does not always work,,I feel like I am such a poor example to my teen daughter..

    You are not alone...Great job on the walking :))

    ReplyDelete