Friday, February 6, 2009

Meeting New People

When I was still trying to figure all this PH stuff out the last thing I thought of was making some awesome friends. So many people came into my life that would never have happened if not for getting PH.

First my original doctor is an awesome doctor. He was caring and was making me a priority. Then there was his nurse Kathy. I could go on and on all day about Kathy. She is such a dear friend. Even though she is no longer my nurse we stay in touch. If I am confused about anything or making a big decision concerning my PH I call her to get her advice. She still takes the time to talk to me even though she is not my nurse anymore. I love her dearly.

Now I have a wonderful doctor at Ohio State University. She is a very caring doctor. It takes a special person to be a good PH doctor. I was blessed to have two very wonderful doctors. I don't always make things easy for her. I can be very stubborn at times. I know that she is right and need to do things her way. She is very compassionate and gives me a little lead way. I also have a great nurse at OSU too.

It is so very important to have doctors and nurses that you are comfortable. I did have one doctor who I just didn't connect with. I was going to the Cleveland Clinic and it was just to far for me. I loved my doctor and nurse up there. I didn't want to leave them. If I could have gotten them to move closer to me I would have tried so hard to do that. I knew that was impossible.

I attended the PH Conference in California and met a doctor who actually came to my town once a week. I thought this was great. I switched to him. Our personalities just didn't fit together. I knew that I would have to find another doctor. That is when I found my doctor at OSU.

If you are not comfortable with your doctor you have to find someone you are comfortable with. Along the way I have found many friends. I roomed with a lady when I went to the PH Conference in California in 2002. I was nervous about rooming with a lady that I didn't know. It was such a blessing. She was a very sweet lady and we became good friends. We kept in contact with each other for the next few years. Sadly she passed away in 2007. I miss her so much. It was hard hearing of her passing. It really showed me how real this illness really is.

I also became good friends with an amazing woman named Elisha. She is so wonderful. She is there to help me with anything that I need. She is another special person who has come into my life that would not have if it wasn't for the PH. That is what I try to focus on more.

It is all a blessing from God. Some of you may be thinking how can she see this as a blessing from God. If it wasn't for the PH I would never have met this people and so many others that I have not talked about. I see these important people in my life as a blessing. Sure I have my times that I don't understand and I get mad and upset. The blessings outweigh the sad times and that is what I try to focus on. Don't get me wrong I have my bad days and spend a lot of time crying. I have to keep trusting God and letting him have control of my life.

4 comments:

  1. Lora, I couldn't agree with you more on this post! I can't believe the people I've met since I found PHA. Growing up with this disease was hard enough, but not knowing anyone else with it was even tougher. So, I cried for weeks when I found PHA and realized there are people like me!!! I'm glad to have met you and others, and that we can relate. It is a wonderful gift from God, I surely agree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connecting with another PHer changed my perspective, too. Four years later, we started a support group for other PHers in Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lora...so true..I have coonected with so many wonderful friends from PHA...I am so happy to be a part of a great PHamily :)) Love your Blog..

    Hope it is not too cold your way...
    Takecare
    Hugs,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lora, ain't it the the truth? If I didn't think my doc was just the bee's knees, I don't know what I'd do... well, I do know, I'd do what you did, and find another one!

    ReplyDelete